From doodle to mandala
Today I played around with watercolor, ink and pencil and made some doodles, and then I used them to make some mandalas.
I make no claims on talent. I just do what I do. I am not one of those artists that knows exactly what a piece is supposed to look like at the beginning. I go with a feeling and an idea and sometimes I am happy with the end result and often I am not. Doesn't matter. I can always tear something up and use it in a collage later, and I almost always make new images digitally from a photo of whatever I have made. I use paint.net for most of my digital editing. It is a pretty simple program that is open source and customizable with plugins. I find the program indespensible. I don't like to use a program that requires me to save my work to the cloud, which is the only reason I don't use PhotoShop. I have been known to use ON1 as a photo editor, but the newer versions crash my computer frequently. I am still plugging along on Windows 10.
Flower Doodle, Ink, watercolor and pencil. July 19, 2026 ©Donna Storm All rights reserved.
I wanted to find some happy colors to play with, and I think I succeeded with that. I do plenty of dark pieces. It was time to play with light. The yellows oranges and blues are a combination that I like a lot.
Here is one of the pallettes I have extracted from this painting. I keep a folder of pallettes that I use whan I use the digital paint program.






Comments
Post a Comment