Describing an image is hard.

 I design wallpaper and fabric. Currently my Spoonflower page is undergoing editing that requires, among other things, both renaming and describing images, along with weeding out some images that I either want to keep private, or delete from the page.  

Here is an image I am in the midst of editing. 

©2026 Donna Storm

I have never really applied myself to describing what I see.  I am not sure why. When I describe what I create I want the description to be neutral, but at the same time I want to think in terms of the effects of color on our emotions, our feelings, and I realize how I feel about a piece will be different than someone observing it from a fresh point of view. So anyway, I expect my attempts at good image description will perhaps be clumsy at first. New terrain is always interesting.

So, for now, here is my description of this image, and this description fits some other images I made in the same series.  Most of my work takes multiple steps, and I save the steps that appeal to me.  This is digital work.  

It may be hard to believe that this image was created by multiple digital edits on this image of a small woven piece I made during the Covid years that was woven into a much larger collaborative piece peace project with textile artists across the country. In 2019 there was a call for artists for the 2020 Wandering Fiber Art Project led by Jeff Beacham - and the final piece resides  The collaborative piece resides at piece generated from It is is much too long for the purposes of updating the Spoonflower website - they restrict you to 250 characters, but I can extract from what I write here for that.  



So here goes:
Naming the image? Aaaaargh. I will come back to that in a later edit, hopefully today.

The style of this image? I would say that the image has a modern flavor to it, and 

The style of this image possesses a strong emphasis on symmetry and intricate patterns and contains a mandala- like structure. The overall composition is balanced and harmonious, drawing the viewer's eye inwards and then outwards through the layered patterns. There's a suggestion of depth created with a spherical form due to the way the pattern curves and appears to project outwards. The color usage is muted and subtle, employing a limited palette of soft blues, purples, whites, and beige tones. The personal challenge being met when creating this design was to create a color pattern that would look gray in the distance but colorful close up. My personal tendency is towards playing with lots of color for walls and pillows, but I also appreciate the resting to the eyes that is provided by nuetral tones. I think there is balance in using both together in a room.



with this design was to The colors are not vibrant or contrasting; instead, they are blended and layered to create a textured, almost ethereal quality. The limited color range contributes to the overall sense of calm and meditation evoked by the piece. The colors are applied in a way that suggests a granular or textured surface, rather than smooth gradients.
Artistically, the characteristics include: Intricate Detail: The artwork is composed of an immense number of small, repeating elements that form larger, complex patterns. This level of detail suggests a meticulous and patient creation process. Pattern Repetition: The core technique is the repetition and variation of a basic motif. This creates a mesmerizing and hypnotic effect. Abstract Nature: The image is entirely abstract, lacking any recognizable representational forms. Its meaning is derived from the visual experience itself – the patterns, colors, and symmetry. Textural Quality: While it's a digital image, the pattern itself gives the impression of a tactile surface, perhaps like woven fabric, granular material, or even scales. Geometric Emphasis: The underlying structure is clearly geometric, based on radial symmetry and concentric forms. Overall, the style can be described as generative art or digital abstract art with strong mandala influences, characterized by its obsessive detail, radial symmetry, muted color palette, and the creation of a visually complex and meditative experience.


Comments